AND WEST KASHUBIAN ARCHITECTURE
FROM WDZYDZE KISZEWSKIE - a reconstruction of 18th
century arcaded house which walls are made of beams joined cross-wise
at the ends, made in 1936. The interior is divided into a corner
vestibule, a room and a sleeping room equipped with traditional
furniture and working tools from the turn of 19th
the corner of the room there is a heating stove made of clay
WDZYDZE TUCHOLSKIE - built in the 20s or 30s of 19th
shows the interior, after rearrangement at the beginning of 20th
c, with furniture and fishing equipment used by family of landless
FROM CHRZTOWO - erected in 1852. It follows a typical
style of rural
architecture of that period, i.e. the front wall overlooks the road.
The interior is preserved in the state from 1912. The internal part
of the chimney enlarged with back vestibule transformed into kitchen.
The rooms house an exhibition devoted to Teodora and Izydor Gulgowski
and handicraft from Wdzydze.
BORSK - from
the 80s of 19th c.,owned by family living by
animal husbandry and craft. Within the farmstead there is a workshop
functioning since the 20s of 20th c.whose owner
wheelmaking, carpentry, boatbuilding, woodworking.
two-roomed, firnishing and utensils from the 20s and 30s of 20th
construction based on 19th c. tradition;
initially a barn
with a mud floor; extended later with a workshop and two pigsties
FROM PIECHOWICE - built at the end of 18th
c, rearranged in
the 80s of 19th c by decreasing the arcaded
part. Now a
seat of folk artists and the choir "Wdzydzanki".
Exhibition: “Wdzydze Handicraft –
FROM NAKLS - consists of a rich peasant's house, a
worker's hut, a
pigsty, a barn, a well, a bread oven and a cellar.
PEASANT'S HOUSE from
Lipuska Huta, built in 1787. It has gable arcades, inside there is a
large vestibule, a room for the oldest of the family, a living room,
an alcove and a receptacle. The house is furnished with objects from
2nd half of 19th c.
from Nakla. It is a partly rebuilt 18th c.
adapted for dwelling purposes in 2nd half of 19th
c. Under one common roof there are: a room with a vestibule, a
passage for carts and a small pigsty
moved from Raduń,
built in 1905, with many partitions and a characteristic "bull's
eye" in the roof.
Szablewo, built in 1748., two- mow, with a pass-through threshing
FARMSTEAD FROM TRZEBUŃ - typical of 2nd
half of 19th c. and that social class villagers.
Nearby a cross from Czapiewice
the end of 19th c.
HOUSE from Trzebuń
built in the 20s of 19th c. for the
family, the hereditary administrators of the village. Furnishing of
the dwelling and farming rooms is typical of small landowners from
the south-east Kashubia in the 80s and 90s of 19th
Next to the house, there is a replica of a pole wayside chapel.
from Krosewo built
in the 1863 contains a four-part interior divided into a cart house,
a cow shed, a stable and a sheep-fold.
from the village of
Słone erected in the decline of 18th c., two-mow, with a
pass-through threshing floor.
“TORFOWNIK”from Tuszkowy – built at the
end of 19th
c. Interiors intended to store fuel :firewood and peat, fishing
equipment and house utensils.
SHRINE – a replica
of a pole wayside shrine from 1869 with a Pieta inside. The original
sculpture displayed in the church from Swornegacie.
FROM SKORZEWO consists of a house and a pigsty. Built in
half of 19th c. for the need of a rich peasant's
the 70s of 19th c. the farmyard belonged to a
family earning their living by hired labour.
from 2nd quarter of
19th c. In the Museum we show its state after
rebuilding - the 30s of 20th c. Narrow-fronted
corner arcade, contains a vestibule, a living room, a room for the
oldest of the family with a tailor's workshop and an alcove with a
from the village of
Gorka, 1st quarter of 19th c. The rooms inside
intended for firewood and poultry feeding stuff stores and a pigsty
with a henhouse. Nearby situated vegetable garden is enclosed by
SKORZEWO: furnishing from the beginning of 20th
in 1st half of 19th c.)
consists of a house, a
farm building, cellars and a small chapel surrounded by a wall of
arranged field stones.
from about 1800 with
a characteristic annex for the oldest members of the family. Here a
"Kashubian Drzymala",i.e. Franciszek Peplinski was born. He
was standing in opposition to relinquishment of his Polish character
in those days. The annex houses temporary exhibitions.
BUILDING – from the
beginning of 19th c ( a barn and a pigsty
gate of the barn is seated on wooden "rockers".
CELLARS of transom
bar construction, covered with turf.
SHRINE with a modern
replica of an effigy of St. John Nepomucen. The original sculpture
dating from 19th c. from Mojusz village
preservation works and can be seen in the Museum collection.
FROM KALISKA – (planned to be extended)
– from the
beginning of 19th c.; arcaded, beams joined
cross-wise at the ends, thatched roof; its owner was the so-called
“gromadzki sołtys” (village administrator)
– from 1780 (
date visible on the door lintel in the arcade ), single-roomed with
an arcade supported by one post, construction beams joined together
cross-wise at the ends; used for animal husbandry in
HOUSE FROM NOWY
BARKOCZYN - built in 2nd half of 18th
partly of carcass and partly of frame construction. Decoration from
the beginning of 19th c. The outstanding arcade with an added attic (
a room for a farm-hand ) constitutes a very distinct architectural
FARMSTEAD FROM CZARNA DĄBROWA – ( reconstruction
progress) densely built-up area; included buildings were erected
successively between 70s of 18th c.and 1917.
Thus, it its
a good illustration of development of folk Kashubian architecture.
HOUSE- wall beams
joined together cross-wise at the ends; from the half of 19th
– stone and brick
from 1917, three-part ( cowshed, pigsty, kitchen with a bread oven).
Adapted for the needs of the exhibition
construction from the 60s of 19th c.
– wall beams joined
together cross-wise at the ends, from the 70s of 18th
a building with a gateway enabling to pass trough ( main entrance to
the farmstead), two mows separated by mud floor and a sheepfold
accessible from the gateway passage.
ARCHITECTURE OF CENTRAL KASHUBIA
FROM GARCZ (to be extended), an example of a wealthy
animals were kept and land was farmed from 19th
tradition; to be seen in the museum in the state from the 30s of 20th
– from 1828;
timber framework with clay infill, thatched pitched roof flattened at
the gables, interior after modernisation of fire system ( kitchen in
the former chimney).
from Szopa, built in 1934; stone with shingled roof
a kind of thin shingles torn off from pine or spruce wood). One
interior divided into sections for cows, horses, pigs and hens.
- BARN- 1st
of 19th c.; timber frame construction eith clay
thached sloping roof.
NOWE CZAPLE – ( restoration works in progress),
funded by Prussian
forest administration 4th quarter of 19th
house with a basement of framework construction, multichambered.
Shape and plan imposed by forest administration
and brick. Under one common roof section for animals and a barn.
HOUSE FROM RAMLEJE,
raised by Jozef Arendt from Kiełpino in 1945 on the site of a house
burnt during the Second World War, traditionally associated with
noble Puzdrowski family. The building is broad-fronted, its interior
is subdivided into separate rooms, framework construction of the
walls, gable and thatched roof. Inside there are workshops of the
Museum Section of Architecture.
OF NORTH KASHUBIA
RICH PEASANT’S FARMSTEAD
SMALL SHRINE FROM PUZDROWO
– built in 1937, undertaking initiated by villagers, in 2005
bequethed to the Museum. Inside en effigy of Holy Mother of the Rosary
brought from Częstochowa in 1937.
FROM LUZINO – (to be extended)
HOUSE – 3rd
quarter of 17th c. Combination of timber
construction and wall beams joined together cross-wise multiply
rebuilt and modernised; interior multipartitioned with representative
chambers from the front. Exhibitions: “ Dwelling of Noble
Landowners in Kashubia from the Beginning of 20th
“Clean and Tidy Home at the end of 19th
c. and the
beginning of 20th c.”, “
History of Farmstead from
– from 3rd
quarter of 18th c. of framework construction
infill. Exhibition : “ Poles, Germans, Kashubians.
pictures from life of Kashubian and Pomeranian village in 19th
and 20th c.” ( in cooperation with
Herder Institute in
– from 3rd
quarter of 19th c., multipartitioned building (
stable, pigsty, feed store), of stone with a tiled gable roof.
– from the end of
19th c., framework construction, plank coated,
gable roof covered with tar-paper.
ARCHITECTURE OF FOREST
– ( to be extended), built at the beginning of 19th
in an amidstforrestrial settlement founded before 1780 in Bory
Tucholskie, the inhabitants worked mainly in forest industry,
minority dealt with farming and animal husbandry.
– built after
1802. Dwelt by landless people earning their living by hired labour
and craft works. Wall beams joined together cross-wise, protruding
ends. The roof covered with pine "darnice". One- room
interior, furnishing from 2nd half of 19th
– from the
beginning of 19th c., wall beams joined together
cross-wise, thached, no partitions.
ARCHITECTURE OF FIELD KOCIEWIE
KLONÓWKA – built for farm- workers in
the 30s of 19th
c., out of small clay blocks with gable arcades.
Exhibition “ Florian
Ceynowa and Starogard Uprising of 1846”.
- two-building, formerly inhabited by farm-workers.
- built before 1874,
interiors from the 20s of 20th c. in the
southern part a
village vet’s dwelling.
FROM KLUKOWA HUTA
-built in 1897 by Kopica, a carpenter (from the area of Lipusz) by
order of a rich peasant employing farm-workers. Framework
construction of the walls, gable thatched roof.
FROM POGÓDKI - is an example of a 19th
and land farm from Kociewie. It consists of a house and a barn.
built in the 70s of
19th c. Inside, around the central chimney,
there are two
vestibules and four rooms.
- built in 1749 , two-mow, divided by a pass-through threshing
floor. Extensions of wattle and daub construction were used as
CHRIST'S PASSION ) a copy of an original folk cross from 1889,
belonging to this farmstead. The restored original can be seen in the
INDUSTRIAL AND PUBLIC
FROM JEŻEWNICA - built in 1876 by a master carpenter
Ladwich. It is
equipped with traditional grinding devices and more modern ones
introduced in the 20s of 20th c.
(A Dutchman) FROM BRUSY built in 1876 built.It is constructed of
wooden parts of an old belfry, modernised in 1914, used until 1947.
It is raised on octagonal site plan, three-storey interior, movable
roof. The windmill is equipped with a large spindle wheel seated on a
SHED – a copy
of a shed from Rolbik of timber-frame construction. Inside a roll
turnery used for renovation of metal parts of a grain grinder and a
traditional oil press ( oil was made from toasted linseed)
FROM STANISZEWO -
with a horizontal frame, the sawing machine was constructed in
Bydgoszcz by "C.Blume and Son"factory in the end of 19th c.
Formerly it was driven by water wheel or a steam engine.
The roof is a reconstruction of an original sawmill roof.
WIĘCKOWY - built in the 50s of 19th
c. with walls of
frame construction. Typical design of that period divides the
interior into a big classroom for about 100 children and a dwelling
for a teacher. Here you can see a reconstructed classroom from the
period between the Two World Wars.
KALISKA – the 80s of 19th c.,
with brick infill
FROM SWORNEGACIE -
dedicated to St.Barbara, funded by the starosty of Tuchola, the
villagers and the parish-priest from Konarzyny. Built about 1700 has
a characteristic three-segmental compact construction. Its walls have
got framework construction, the roof is shingled. The belfry of
framework construction was added in 1740. Next to the church there is
a copy of a cross from Wieprznica from the year 1766.
ALTAR from 3rd quarter of 17th
century with paintings depicting
St.Barbara and John the Baptist, from the beginning of 18th
ALTARS, the right one
rococo-classicistic from 18th c.and the left
classicistic from 19th c.
Wooden ceiling is covered
with paintings from the beginning of 18th c.
St.Barbara, John the Baptist and The Eye of Providence in rich floral
ornaments. The whole corresponds to baroque tradition and emphasises
the folk character of the interior.
MANOR HOUSE FROM
SKWIERAWY - built at the beginning of 18th
interior arranged for the reception needs of the Museum: a
box-office, a souvenir shop and the exhibitions : introductory , and
a permanent one "Old Furniture in Kashubia".
MANOR HOUSE FROM
RADUŃ - erected in the 50s of 19th
c., founded by
Lew-Kiedrowski family, outstanding in the village because of a large
and modern construction, it immitated the classicistic manor houses
fashionable in the middle of 19th c. Here there
workshops and offices of the Museum.
FROM LINIA - built
at the beginning of 20th c. Framework
construction of the
walls , gable roof covered with roofing paper, used until the 80s of
STARA HUTA – timber-frame construction; built
in the 90s of 19th
c; in the Museum adapted for the needs of a folk inn
THE MUSEUM FOUNDERS’
Gulgowski, born in
1874 at Iwiczno, died in 1925.
Fethke, born in 1860 at Małe Chełmy, died in 1951.
Founders of Kashubian Skansen" ( Teodora and Izydor Gulgowski ),
sponsored in 1977 by Kashubian-Pomeranian Association, designed by
OSTROWSKA – a writer attached to Wdzydze;
sponsored in 2005.